APPENDIX A to the ByLaws
MGFWS Standing Committees and Their Respective Responsibilities
(March 18, 2011)
This appendix to the ByLaws identifies the committee structure and the activities and responsibilities associated with each committee. Committee appointments are determined in accord with Article VI, Section 3 of these Bylaws.
The Audit Committee is responsible for an annual audit of the Foundation’s financial activities. The Audit Committee is responsible for:
- Initiating the audit within one month of the end of the fiscal year.
- Conducting the audit using applicable professional auditing standards as guidelines.
- Testing Foundation financial records for accuracy and appropriate fiduciary management.
- Providing a report stating the findings for President for distribution to the balance of the Foundation members.
B. Awards Committee
The Awards Committee is composed of the chairs of the sub-committees that select scholarship recipients, recipients of the Master Gardener of the Year Award, the Ed LaCrosse Distinguished Service Award, the Media Award, and any other such awards as may be designated by the Board. It is responsible for:
- Reviewing the processes employed by the subcommittees in the conduct of their responsibilities.
- Recommending to the Board modification of award criteria and processes as necessary.
C. Communications Committee
Note: the chairperson shall be an officer of the Master Gardener Foundation of Washington State (MGFWS). Other members of the committee shall be: one MGFWS regional vice-president, one MGFWS county representative, the MGFWS website administrator, and the editor/publisher of the MGFWS newsletter. All members will be presidential appointees.
The Communications Committee is responsible for ensuring that all forms of MGFWS communications (both internal and external), provide appropriate and accurate information to the audiences targeted by the message to be sent. Communications activities include:
- Developing and publishing the Foundation’s news letter.
- Maintaining current information of the Foundation’s website.
- Maintaining current information on the Foundation’s ListServ.
- Developing and releasing press releases, as necessary.
D. Finance Committee – Chairperson: Treasurer
This committee is responsible for providing assistance and guidance to the Treasurer and for participating in financial decision making for acquisitions and expenditures asfollows:
- Assisting, as necessary, in preparation and filing of all required government reports.
- Developing, in conjunction with the Treasurer, a draft budget for the following fiscal year in the last quarter of each fiscal year.
- Exploring and developing sources of external funding in conjunction with the Fundraising Committee.
E. Legislative Committee
This committee is responsible for maintaining a constructive relationship with the Washington State Legislature as relates to funding for the WSU Master Gardener Program. Its responsibilities include:
- Maintaining awareness of issues upcoming or currently before the Washington State legislature which have relevance to the Washington State University Master Gardener Program supported by the MGFWS.
- Developing, planning, organizing, and presenting to the Board proposed positions, actions and activities in support or response to legislative issues.
- Monitoring and ensuring MGFWS compliance with all laws and regulations relating to political activities of non-profit charitable 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Providing proposed action plans of this committee to the Executive Committee for approval.
F. Nominating Committee
This committee is responsible for securing a slate of Board Officers to administer the business of the Foundation. Responsibilities include:
- Identifying future vacant Board officer positions and advising current Board members about those vacancies
- Surveying the Board members to determine the level of interest in serving in various officers positions.
- Recruiting qualified candidates in cases where interest is not apparent for a vacant position.
- Providing a slate of recommended candidates to the Board for consideration.
G. Search for Success
This committee is responsible for organizing and managing the Search for Success program in preparation for each annual advanced education conference. Responsibilities include:
- Contacting the various county representatives with details of the program three months in advance of the conference.
- Responding to county questions about the program.
- Ensuring that the appropriate space is provided at the conference.
- Ensuring that the counties involved receive a note of appreciation for their effort at the conclusion of the conference.
H. Fundraising Committee
This committee oversees MGFWA fundraising initiatives for in support of the statewide WSU MG program, including acting as liaison to and cooperating with the WSU Foundation in joint fundraising efforts when appropriate. Its responsibilities include:
- Planning, organizing, and managing major fundraising campaigns in conjunction with the WSU Foundation.
- Planning, organizing, and managing any silent auctions at the annual conference.
- Planning, organizing and managing and raffles at the annual conference.
I. Advanced-Education Conference Site-Selection Committee
This committee is responsible for organizing and managing the selection of sites for WSU/MGFWS Advanced-Education Conferences. Its responsibilities include:
- Preparing a Request for Proposal for prospects to host the annual Advanced-Education Conference.
- Contacting interested county foundation personnel to explain the details and expectations surrounding hosting the annual conference.
- Determining which locations are best suited to host the conference based on geographic equity, appropriate facilities, and enthusiasm of the county.
- Developing and executing a Memorandum of Agreement between the host county, Washington State University Master Gardener Program and the Master Gardener Foundation of Washington State.